Deaf Crocodile Movies, in affiliation with distribution accomplice Seagull Movies, is proud to announce the upcoming 4K restoration launch on Blu-ray of famed fantasy filmmaker Aleksandr Ptushko’s visually beautiful 1959 fantasy epic SAMPO (U.S. title: THE DAY THE EARTH FROZE) by accomplice label OCN-Vinegar Syndrome.
SAMPO (THE DAY THE EARTH FROZE), 1959, Finland/USSR, 91 min. Based mostly on the Finnish nationwide epic Kalevala, legendary director Aleksandr Ptushko’s ravishing, mystical fantasy tells the story of a sinister witch Louhi (Anna Orochko) who covets the Sampo, a magical, rainbow-colored mill that may produce countless salt, grain, and gold. When the hero Lemminkäinen (Andris Oshin) makes an attempt to cease her, Louhi actually steals the solar, plunging the world into everlasting darkness. A Finnish/Soviet co-production and shot like its predecessor, ILYA MUROMETS, in beautiful CinemaScope, SAMPO options a few of Ptushko’s most surreal and fantastical imagery: a glowing pink horse plowing a discipline of vipers; a ship of fireside with a stag’s head; a weeping mom actually strolling throughout the ocean to seek out her misplaced son. With its witch’s incantations and repeated scenes of forging magical objects — “Give me hearth for the furnace from the nave of the sky!” — there’s an nearly Macbeth-like occult drive to the movie. Launched within the U.S. in a butchered model as THE DAY THE EARTH FROZE, SAMPO has been superbly restored in 4K by Finland’s Nationwide Audiovisual Institute (KAVI) for its first-ever American launch in its unique Finnish-language Scope model by Deaf Crocodile. In Finnish with English subtitles.
“For a few years Aleksandr Ptushko has been one in every of my favourite fantasy filmmakers,” says Dennis Bartok, Deaf Crocodile’s Co-Founder and Head of Distribution & Acquisitions. “Following the Blu-ray launch of Ptushko’s ILYA MUROMETS in Might, Craig and I are thrilled to be bringing one other of his wondrous creations out in its unique Finnish CinemaScope model, with our companions at Seagull Movies and KAVI. And for followers of Ptushko’s work, keep tuned — we’ll have extra Blu-ray information coming quickly!”
“Extra Ptushko fantasy!” provides Craig Rogers, Deaf Crocodile’s Co-Founder and Head of Publish-Manufacturing and Restoration. “Evil witch, depraved warlocks, magical roads, and weeping timber all in stunning CinemaScope and the unique encompass sound combine! If you happen to loved ILYA MUROMETS, you’ll love SAMPO!”
* New 4K restoration of the Finnish-language model of SAMPO from the unique
35mm CinemaScope image components and 4-track audio by The Finnish Nationwide Audiovisual Institute (KAVI), with further digital restoration by Craig Rogers for Deaf Crocodile.
* New commentary observe by comics artist (Swamp Factor), movie historian, and writer Stephen R. Bissette.
* Reprint of Pt. 2 of movie scholar Alan Upchurch’s pioneering essay on Aleksandr Ptushko from “Video Watchdog” (Problem #9, Jan./Feb. 1992).
* New hour-long video interview with Mike Nelson, head author and host of Thriller Science Theater 3000 and author/performer of RiffTrax, protecting his profession and the highly-popular MST3K editions of Ptushko’s THE DAY THE EARTH FROZE (SAMPO) and THE SWORD & THE DRAGON (ILYA MUROMETS). Hosted by famous comics artist and novelist Bob Fingerman (Minimal Wage) and Dennis Bartok of Deaf Crocodile.
* Authentic Finnish-language trailer.
* New artwork by Tony Stella.