RELEASE DATE: April 5, 2022
On April 5, 2022, Arrow Video shall be releasing the Blu-ray for Lau Kar-leung’s 1983 traditional The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. They’ll even be releasing an Arrow Retailer U.S. Unique model of the movie, that includes unique Theatrical Paintings.
After certainly one of its lead actors (cherub-faced motion icon Alexander Fu Sheng) unexpectedly died halfway via manufacturing, grasp director Lau Kar-leung (The thirty sixth Chamber of Shaolin) retooled his newest martial arts epic, The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, as the last word motion spectacular in tribute to the fallen star.
Loosely based mostly upon the legendary Yang dynasty chronicled in Chinese language folklore, the movie begins because the household patriarch and all however two of his sons are brutally worn out in a bloody battle. One surviving son (Fu Sheng) returns to his mom and two sisters, deeply traumatized; the opposite (Gordon Liu) escapes and joins a close-by monastery whereas in hiding. As soon as he learns his sister (Kara Hui) has been captured by their enemies, nonetheless, the warrior-turned-monk realizes he should resign his peaceable beliefs so as to mount a rescue mission and avenge his household.
Made throughout the legendary Shaw Brothers studio’s twilight years as a filmmaking powerhouse, The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is commonly considered director Lau’s masterpiece, as elegiac and suffused with anguish as it’s thrillingly violent (not least in its bone-crunching, teeth-smashing climax).
Particular Version contents;
- Model new 2K restoration from the unique digicam damaging by Arrow Movies
- Excessive Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation
- Unique lossless Cantonese, Mandarin and English mono audio
- Elective English subtitles, plus hard-of-hearing subtitles for the English dub
- Model new commentary by Jonathan Clements, creator of A Temporary Historical past of China
- Newly filmed appreciation by movie critic and historian Tony Rayns
- Interviews with stars Gordon Liu, Lily Li and Yeung Ching-ching, filmed by Frédéric Ambroisine in 2004
- A Tribute to Fu Sheng, a brief movie commemorating the late actor that performed earlier than early screenings of The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, introduced through a German-dubbed telecine (the most effective obtainable copy) with English subtitles
- Alternate opening credit, as The Invincible Pole Fighters
- Theatrical trailer
- Picture gallery
- Reversible sleeve that includes unique and newly commissioned art work by Marc Aspinall
- First Urgent Solely: Illustrated collectors’ booklet that includes new writing on the movie by Terrence J. Brady
In case you’re a Area B collector, our trusted retailer, The Goodie Emporium, nonetheless has copies of the out-of-print 88 Movies launch.